Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Resolved

In this illustrious and numerically lovely year 2010, I resolve that:

- I will cook a new recipe at least once a month. January is already taken care of.

- I will listen to two new songs a week if it kills me! And it just might, you never know. That's what I call living dangerously.

- I will spend no less than two hours a week petting and/or cuddling my cats. Strictly for their own good, of course.

- I will drink good beer at least once a month, and eat dark chocolate at least once a week, on the grounds that alcohol and chocolate have recently been deemed health foods and staying healthy is very important to me.

- If at any time I find myself feeling guilty about what cannot be helped (for instance, the inescapable fact that spending more time at work means spending less time at home), I will promptly find something to do or think about that provides a more sensible reason for feelings of guilt.

4 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

What was the January recipe?

I'm curious, why beer and not wine?

Irene said...

The January recipe was Easy Swiss Chicken Casserole. Essentially - mix instant rice, cream of chicken soup, swiss cheese, and milk. Pour over chicken breasts. Bake. It's not gourmet, but it's easy and tasty.

On beer vs. wine: I like and can appreciate both, but lately I am much more of a beer geek than a wine geek. Maybe it's just a phase, but at least at the moment, beer seems to suit me better than wine, in much the same way that I feel more at home with cats than dogs.

Beer also has the practical advantage of coming in more conveniently-sized bottles. We can take an 11% alcohol-by-volume beer and split a bottle with dinner, and still be able to chase Annika around. With wine, either we finish the bottle and we're both tipsy, or a third of it goes in the fridge and usually gets tossed later.

On the other hand, with this cold weather lately, I could really go for some mulled wine!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Interesting, I'd always pegged you as a wine type.

Now I'm wondering if it falls under my basic categories (ocean/mountain, dog/cat, coffee/tea. . .)
I am a mountain, cat, wine, coffee and tea person who also appreciates dogs, oceans and beer.

Irene said...

My categories are changeable over time. Until fairly recently I was more interested in wine than beer and I didn't even drink coffee. On mountains/ocean, my preference is both!