Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Raven mother

I discovered that in German, "rabenmutter" (raven mother) is a put-down, a derogatory term for a mother who doesn't care about her kids - particularly mothers who put their kids in day-care to go back to work. A mother who flies away from the nest, so to speak.

But since I don't have a gut-level grasp of the implications, to me "raven mother" sounds really cool. I am a raven mother, hear me caw!

In other news, this morning Annika would not put on pants except the ones with dinosaurs on them. Pink flower-embroidered shirt, and T-REX pants!

2 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I love that Annika has a "fierce" style sense already, and I love that you think dinosaur pants are worthy of their own tag.

Beth said...

Nice!

I think Raven mother is a neat term, besides a happy raven mother is better for Annika than an unhappy mother who's at the nest all the time.

I want dinosaur pants. Why as an adult can I only get cool socks?