Monday, June 2, 2008

Two Months

Yesterday, Annika turned 2 months old. And today, I'm back at work... wondering whether it's too soon, or just soon enough. My mother in her wisdom warned me that the longer you wait to go back to work, the more difficult it can be, because babies get so much cuter and more interesting than they were at 4 weeks or 6 weeks. She's learned the art of the social smile and is starting to carry on whole conversations made of "oooh" and "aah!" and sometimes a high-pitched "eee!"

It feels odd to be typing with two hands, instead of holding Annika with one arm and typing with the other.

I've been planning to do a series of posts about the transition into motherhood: the labor and birth, the first two weeks, the next two weeks, the second month. So far, I have part of the birth story written, but it's not nearly finished yet (it's a long story). I finally decided that I should write something, anything, on the blog instead of waiting and trying to do posts in chronological order.

My brother Alex and his girlfriend Anne were in Delaware last week, and they were both delighted with Annika. Whereas my youngest brother was afraid to hold the baby lest he break her, Alex couldn't wait to gather her into his arms and coo at her. It was definitely "love at first sight" on Alex's part, and although it's hard to tell with a baby that young, it seemed that she liked him too.

Over the weekend, she had her first party at the grandparent Khavins' house. She was a big hit with everyone, but especially her great-grandparents. A cousin suggested that to keep everyone updated with the latest news and pictures, we should start an Annika blog. Before I actually had a baby, I would've thought that idea was silly, but now it seems to make sense - I've had a lot of requests for pictures, and a baby blog seems like the best way to disseminate them.

5 comments:

Ben Karel said...

Hey now! I wasn't afraid of breaking Annika... I was afraid of Vlad breaking me! ;-)

She is adorable though.

Jennifer said...

Welcome Back Irene! Hope the first day of work went well.

Jenny said...

Can't wait to hear more, Irene!

Beth said...

I want to meet her - still working on when - but a baby blog would be AWESOME so we can see pictures...

Anonymous said...

ARGH... YAY.. you're writing again!! Woot. Catching up on your posts and... I think the baby blog is a fabulous idea. Can't wait to meet your little daughter.