Monday, June 9, 2008

Thrifting

Saturday and Sunday, I went on a dual mission of thrift-shop visitation. Both parts of the mission were driven by new-parenthood.

Part the first: to buy clothes that fit my current size and shape instead of bitching and moaning about how few of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit. I'm not going to go on any weight-loss diets while I'm breastfeeding, so unless I find the time and motivation to start working out, those pregnancy pounds will stay put for a while. Although I'd eventually like them to go away, I can accept the changes much more gracefully now that I have clothes that fit. At Impact! Thrift in East Norriton, I found several sleeveless tops, two skirts, and a pair of pants to expand my summer work wardrobe, and at the Philadelphia Aids Thrift just south of South Street, I found four pairs of pants, three tops, and another skirt. All this, for about $60.

Part the second was to browse the childrens' books section and find nifty books for young 'uns, but especially old books, the ones that I remember from my own childhood. I succeeded at both Impact! and P. A. T.; I found "The Little Engine That Could", "Robinson Crusoe", "A Fisherman's Tale" by Beatrix Potter, and some that aren't so old, or at least I don't remember them: an amazing pop-up book called "One Red Dot", an illustrated "King Arthur", and... Heather will be so pleased... my child's first book featuring a bat (Stellaluna).

I've started reading to Annika, and although she doesn't show much interest at this point, if nothing else it's good practice for me!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love that you are reading to her already. I have fond memories of my mom reading to me (not when I was that young of course), but it was part of our nightly routine. "The Little Engine that Could" was always one of my favorites.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Stellaluna is fabulous. More comments on GBKD to come.

Anonymous said...

You can never start reading to them too early. I loved reading Goodnight Moon and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to my guys. We also love Dr. Seuss... okay so *I* loved Dr. Seuss. I'm sorry you just can't get enough of Hop On Pop.